Friday, June 20, 2008

The setup.

Here's the hydroponic setup I've got. I have the 7.5 gallon Hydrofarm Megagarden system. It has 15 planters, and it set up for ebb and flow operation.

The light is a Hydrofarm 400W HPS/MH Switchable system. I mounted it on a metal garment rack. The distance from the top of the planters to the bottom of the reflector is 4' even.

The planters will be filled with Hydrotron Expanded Clay Pellets. But that's not until we have some plants to put in them. For now, it's all about the seeds!




This is what I have to germinate my seeds, or take care of the seedlings from seeds germinated elsewhere. It is the General Hyroponics Rapid Rooter 50-planter. It has the dome to keep the humidity up, which is oh-so crucial in our dry desert climate.

I've only dropped 15 seeds in so far. I've got 15 planters, along with some materials for a small 1 or 2 plant setup. I can't assume a 100% germination rate, but whatever does sprout will go into the system. One of each of the following were put into the system: sugar nap pea, jaltomate berry, huckleberry, everbearing strawberry, black sea man tomato, banana pepper, garden salsa pepper, sweet red karma pepper, and cool breeze cucumber. There are also 6 random pepper seeds from a rainbow pack.

So that's what's in. I also put some pepper seeds in a wet paper towel in some foil to germinate, in case it doesn't work in the dome. I will transplant those guys in here once they pop a little root. I have read everything I can find about germinating seeds. So much contradictory information is out there, even on the same plants. I've decided to go with the MH lamp, on from 6am until midnight daily. I figure if I give the plants the lights they're going to get as adults, that makes sense. Also, because of the different temperature needs of the seeds, when the light is on the dome is about 80°F, which is good for the peppers. The rest of them like the lower 70°s, which they get at night. I figure the light and temperature difference will give them some idea of day and night. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure many seasoned gardeners could set me straight, but only one way to learn. So here we go, let's hope for some sprouts!

Grow it, cook it, eat it, love it.
The Green Guisador

No comments: