Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting the medium and planters ready for the rooters.

Now, I'm not going to go through how to put the system together, or how to build it. I will probably get into building at some point, but I already had my system put together, so I'm just going to run through what I did this morning to get it ready for my plants.




First, let me give you a little advice. Take your bathmat out of the damn tub before you do this. I spared you the pictures of that cleanup. You're welcome!


I used a steamer basket from our brewing pot (6 gal) to wash the clay pellets. I ran water over them until it ran clear. The pellets then went into the blue bin, waiting for the planters.




I then filled the planters halfway with the medium. I shoved the wick down to the bottom, held it upright, and filled up the rest, minus the depth of my rooters.





Then I put the planters in the system, which is now ready for our rooters.


From this point, I dug out a space for the planter, folded the wick underneath, and filled to cover.

Here the seedlings are planted in the clay pellets, and ready for nutrients.

No comments: